Monday, September 01, 2008

These Updates are From when I was on training camp in South Korea to the Race...

No1
Arrived at Schipol airport nice and early, stopping by the sign “kiss and ride”- pretty apt I thought for the relatively unemotional Dutch! I was now travelling with Sander and Adrie Berk- the Dutch Triathlon team manager. We were met by a KLM official Olympic helper whom ushered use through the normal check in procedure very swiftly and didn’t even incur any extra costs!
The flight to Seoul was uneventful and after working out which door our bikes would appear from we got through customs with no problems- really good this quote “Olympics-Beijing” as people jump! We were met by our South Korean helper and jumped onboard a business class coach (comfy seats, aircon) for our 3hr20min trip to Chuncheon.
Ladena Resort Hotel, the home of the Dutch Olympic Training Camp is a great hotel on the edge of a large lake. It is close to running and cycling routes and a 20 min trip to the pool.

Training has gone well so far with doing a little more each day as ours bodies adjust to the 7hr difference, and not to mention the 35deg, 60% humidity- perfect acclimatisation. Plenty sun which is a really bonus after Europe and wishing each day for the sun to come out!
The most eventful session so far was a 2hr bike ride with a lead car. After getting lost a few times we finally hit our 8-10% gradient hills. After doing the required laps up the climbs, we were on our way back. Didn’t realise had more climbs and given my body was still at 3am, when hit a steeper part, some expletives were released.. I was not amused! Anyway, I was chuffed to be going up hills after 5 weeks of riding the pancake that is the Netherlands!

No2
We have had a good few days training here in Chuncheon with the temp and humidity around 32-36 deg and 70%. Open water swimming has been added to the mix and that has been great, despite the dodging of speed boats- luck for the orange cap!

Last night was Opening Ceremony eve and after a good meal beside the pool we got comfortable in front of the TV. As most people saw, it was an incredible display of organisation more than anything! The drums were the best part I thought! Anyway, it was a somewhat strange feeling being an Olympian but not there. Anyway, hopefully the 19th will show I have done the right thing. I did get an interview by BBC radio and I was concerned that politics could have been on the cards and am pleased to say it was tactfully carried out. Anyway, I spoke as the Zim team entered the stadium.

I have been really well treated by the Dutch Olympic staff here, Nancy, the physio and Marteen the doc. I have learnt a great deal about my body in this extreme environment, ie sweat rate of 2L an hour while running! Nancy has been great with looking after my muscles, niggles and given me some great advice on recruitment of my muscles while running. The 3 athletes, Sander, Lisa Mensink and I have been getting some great treatment.

No3
I have now been in the Olympic Village for 4 days and what an experience! After a long day of travel from South Korea I was greeted at the Beijing airport by Kathy Lobb and Stanley Mutoya of the Zimbabwe Olympic Committee. I was taken by car in the Olympic dedicated lane on the freeway to the Village. I greeted all the Zim team and we are sharing our A2 block with Georgia and a host of other smaller contingents. Not sure if the Georgians are planning to attack the Russians given what is happening there….no..we are at a sporting event.. The sporting event of the World. Does seem the Georgians are keeping the tobacco industry intact loitering outside our apartment block!

The first trip to the dining hall was an experience. I love food and this was incredible. Any food choice you can think of from Western hamburgers (including McDonalds) to Asian Duck.. no dogs or cats thank goodness! We are also given a keyring to access any drink vending machine around the Village.. 50 drinks for our stay! The International Zone has everything one needs from a bank to hairdresser! Yes I had my first barbered cut since I think Jack the Hack back in the days in Harare! Might I add all these are free services! The Zim kit is really very good and seems the thing to do is swap pins with other countries! We each are given Zim pins to swap which is great. Each Zim athlete has been given a nice financial reward from Amai.. The First Lady of Zimbabwe- another welcome surprise! I have also landed a new pair of Oakley Radar sunglasses which is awesome-thanks Oakley!

Training commenced with swimming in the pool in the Village and a run around the 1km running track made in the Village. I met up with my Dutch friends again and we then made the trek out to the Ming Tombs Reservoir, the site of the Olympic Triathlon Race. A 50min one way bus trip gets us out there and then a quick change and onto the bike route, not a minute before 10am and not a minute after 11am! We can then swim on the course from 11-12am before getting back on the bus for the trip home and welcome dining hall.. not more than 5mins from the bus station!

Briefing and the pontoon draw were today and after a length period in the sun and an hour and half later I got the draw of 14th spot on the pontoon and race number of 20. I now have a day of easy training and will then sharpen up on Monday for the race.

No comments: