Monday, May 05, 2008

South African World Cup: Richards Bay


The lead up into Richards Bay, the body was pretty tired, probably effects of the last 2 or so weeks. Fortunately I was going to sea level so knew that recovery would be quick just before the race. The area was experiencing an uncharacteristic cold spell and a wetsuit temperature was around the corner. Race day, the water temperature was just in the non-wetsuit range making the swim cold! Race start was as chaotic as usual and the first two buoys I was given the thumping of my life. Anyway, had to get on with it and coming out after the swim I had to have a slick transition to ensure I made the front pack. Fortunately this was so and remained as for the 8 lap course. Off the bikes and hit the asphalt flying. The first km was incredibly fast and found I had a new gear after the few weeks of speed that had been doing. I was able to run the whole way with a Frenchman and posted my PB for 10km by about a minute so was ecstatic. Second African home in 28th and a renewed confidence. Now for Mauritius in a week’s time..the last of the African cups.

Thanks to the Thompsons in Richards Bay for putting me up… made a big difference to be in a ‘home’ environment rather than a motel.

2 comments:

Ploemeur Triathlon said...

Bravo Chris,
Obviously, you really improved in a one year time. I just compared what you did in Richards Bay last year and yesterday. It is a 10mn improvement whatever the conditions were (look at what guys like De Villiers, Polikarpenko, Berk, Zeebroek & Wild did).
Keep working hard.

Yvon Le Gall, Ploemeur Triathlon (FRA)

loner said...

hey hey y do you say mauritius was your last of african cups? not comin to mombasa this year?