Sunday, May 18, 2008

ITU Points Race: Mauritius

After spending a few days after the race in Richards Bay, I packed up my gear and headed to Ille de Maurice for the last African cup race. Thanks to the Zimbabwe Olympic Committe for helping me with this trip. Alain St Louis of the Mauritian Triathlon Federation did a great job with limited funds on helping all of us International athletes, a very big thanks to him. This was a crucial race with regards to who qualifies as Africa's new flag for the Games.. so it was 'on' between myself and the Morroccan athlete. Feeling rather fatigued before the event, I wasnt sure how it would go, however, I knew it was now or never.

Couldnt really complain with the view we had while racing the 1500m swim, coral and maybe a yellow coachman (a fish!), yes, tough life.. The swim went well and onto the potholed bike course, it was a pack of 4 chasing the lone Swissman in front. Unfortunately our pack did not catch the Swissman so had a significant deficit after the bike. I had a less than average bike and knew the run would hurt. Understatement. After 5km, i dropped the Morroccan but still struggled the last 5km with the sight of finishing within the cut-off for points. I made the time and finished Africa's top New Flag, albeit a poor performance. To put it in perspective, I finished in front of all the other athletes in the weekend prior event in Richards Bay. A tough day in Mauritius.

Anyway, back to South Africa for a week and then am racing my last race for qualification points in Japan on May 25..crazy travel and time ahead..keep checking!

No comments: