Wednesday, November 19, 2008

TREK, Germiston Energade and Zimbabwe...




It has been a good few weeks.. however, to rewind the tape to a mid week long ride prior to the Germiston Energade Triathlon. I was riding and couldnt work out why my legs were feeling so dead, "this bike is heavy"! After a few more km's I noticed my rear wheel was rubbing against the inside of the frame.. "what?!".. It was now unrideable and I was in the middle of joburg rush hour traffic.. a walk and wait at a bike shop, my fear was confirmed. The left rear drop out had come out of the frame causing the rear wheel to sit at an angle up against the frame.. all in all, a freak manufacture default. The guys at Just Fun Cycling (TREK- South Africa) were incredible in helping me get a new frame to use for the upcoming race in Germiston.

Race day was cold, wet and windy.. not a typical African summers day. I was out the water in the front group of 5, which remained the same on the bike. There were some attacks here and there, but in the end we were 5 coming into the run. I couldnt feel my feet in the first km of the run and slowly warmed up. I ended up a solid 4th, now establishing msyelf in 4th overall in the series.

A quick lunch with the Goodwins and was up to Harare. I had a good few days in Zimbabwe, getting some good training done on my old 'grounds'. I managed to get in a good presentation to the triathlon community in Harare, which was well received. Some people there saw me do my first race, about 14 years ago!

Now for about 3 races in 4 weekends then a short xmas break..

No comments: