Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ITU points race: Japan..




two weeks after visiting the shores of Mauritius, I found myself lapping up the shores of Amakusa, Japan. Thanks to the Zimbabwe Olympic Committe for making this possible. Quite a journey getting there and crossing 7hrs worth of time zones, I arrived at the quaint little town of Amakusa 2.5days prior to race start- enough time to get over jet lag and race? tough.. had to be done. This was going to be my last hit out at vying for points for the Games so all needed to run smoothly. Writing from Hong Kong airport, on my way back to Joburg, I can relax, slightly.

I was one of 3 Interntional blokes(other two were Aussies) in a field of 37. The rest were showing what Sushimi can do. We were really well looked after by Kiriyo of the JTU and her team, thank you. The race..

I lead out the swim, with 2 others on my heels. For the first 20km's on the bike, it was myself, last year's winner and previous Olympian, and a top Aussie. We were caught by an efficiently working bunch of 20 or so by the half way point on the bike so it was time to sit in a wait for the run. By this time, the heat and humididty had crept up, not unbearable, but noticable. Still had 3 big hills on the run to contend with. The run did not go aswell as in Richards Bay a few weeks ago and was off the time I wanted, and need to be at, given the Games are in 70 or so days time. Nonetheless, I finished 5th, picking up points that pushed me into 82nd on the ITU ranking for this week. Needs to remain under 140 by the cut off on June 10th to secure my spot for Zimbabwe.

I now have a bit of time to get my wits back and then will wait for final confirmation on June 10th about my spot on the start line in Beijing. Will keep you posted!

2 comments:

loner said...

hey all the very best on your journey to the olympics:) all here praying for you to get there:) cheers,
noorie

Huub said...

You are done very well chris,
We looking forward to see you in the olympics games!
We will thinking of you.
Take care.

see you,

Huub, Neni, Michell, and Michaela.